I have been calling myself semi-retired for about 4 years now. The problem is I go to Maine in the summer and would like to do more travelling, so holding down a part-time job was a challenge. Until now.

The past couple of school years I taught ESL(English as a Second Language) for the local community college. This was great as I taught small classes of adults off campus. The hours were short, but they were mostly in the evenings, which I don't really like to go out at night. Then something better came along....

One day I decided to check my Linked-In page and there was an invitation to apply to VIPKID. VIPKID hires certified teachers to teach Chinese children to speak English. The classes are short: 25 minutes each in a one-to-one setting. They pay more than the community college and I didn't have to leave home! Not only that, I can teach ANYWHERE as long as I have a computer and Wifi. This was like a gift from heaven for me!

They advertise as "Part-time teaching, Full-time fun" and that is right on. It took about a month to go through the application process and interviews. There are lots of You-tube videos that walk you through the process and show example classes. As of December of 2016 I started teaching with VIPKID and quit my ESL job with the college.

I was a little nervous about not being technically savvy, but it really didn't take much to get me up to speed. I had to upgrade my 15 year old laptop to a newer, faster model. I went with a smaller (13") HP Pavilion and it's working great. I also took VIPKID's advice and bought a separate camera and a good headset. The headset has a mute, so I can get into the classroom and listen (and watch) my student and family before I turn on my camera and start teaching.

It felt like stepping off a cliff as there is no person to talk to as you go through the interview process and begin teaching. There are lots of training videos on their website and plenty of You-tube videos from other teachers, so I spent a lot of time studying before I interviewed or taught. They sign you on for 6 month contracts, and I am now an old pro in my 2nd contract.

This company was started by a woman, Cindy Mi, and she has created a monster! They just met the 20,000 teacher mark and are adding teachers and students daily. They have their growing pains, but mostly they are amazing! They are based in Beijing and it seems that most of their employees are young Chinese or Americans. The employees are enthusiastic, helpful and entertaining. They are all very creative and constantly looking for ways to improve communication with teachers, parents and students, and to keep the curriculum challenging, but fun. It truly is a fun job.

The students range in age from 4 1/2 to 12 and are just like kids anywhere. Some are funny, some happy, sad, motivated and bored. The challenge is to connect with them and have them enjoy learning. The learning/work ethic is very strong in China and there is incredible competition. I have learned so much about Chinese families and how they are really no different than American families.

I think making this connection across the globe is good for everyone involved. This generation of Chinese children will grow up feeling a familiarity with English speaking teachers. Fear of the unknown is one of the biggest stumbling blocks to an open global exchange of ideas. The ways we are alike so greatly out weigh the ways we are different. The kids are just kids and the families are like families here. I see supportive parents and I see pushy parents, just as I did when teaching in public schools. Overall the parents and kids are wonderful and respond best when you are yourself. I love my students and just wish I had more energy to spend more time teaching.

VIPKID requests that you open at least 15 25-minute time slots each week. That is only 7.5 hours of teaching. Generally, I teach the 15 classes, but have been known to teach as many as 18 -20 in a week. I spend about 1 - 1 1/2 hours a day prepping for the next day. Oh, prepping only means looking at the pre-written VIPKID powerpoint class (yes, they set the curriculum and do ALL the planning). The prep for me determines what props I will use and what rewards I will give to my students. I have settled into the 15 classes (3 classes Mon - Fri) as my norm. Due to the time difference we have to teach in the am. The peak hours for the East Coast are 7 - 9 am. I am enjoying 7:30, 8:00 and 8:30 as my norm. This way I am not up too early and I have the rest of the day to do my own thing.

When I started teaching online for VIPKID I was living in North Carolina. Since then I have moved to my "camp" in Maine for the summer and will be moving to Cape Cod for the winter. I have taught my classes in a screen room, in hotel rooms, and in borrowed offices. You are allowed to take 2 vacation weeks every 6 months. I am using those weeks this contract during my busiest "moving" weeks. The flexibility is the biggest advantage of teaching online.

Are you interested in teaching for VIPKID? If so, you will need to know that you sign a contract and get paid as an independent contractor on a 1099. They pay directly into your checking account on the 15th of every month (like clockwork). Use my link below to get started, or check out the You-tube videos. I do get credit, so please use my link when you decide to apply.

I remember how I wish I had someone to talk to when I was going through the process, so feel free to email me at nckeith53@gmail.com and I will answer all that I can.

This is the best job ever and I love it! I hope you join our team and become a global teacher!

My link for your application: https://t.vipkid.com.cn/?refereeId=2800505&partnerId=6891010


Comments

Popular posts from this blog